Home Dyserth St Bridget's Church Waterfall Talargoch Quarrying Mills Land and Landowners Chapels The Railway Merseyside Camp Rest Camp Curiosities Panoramas Castle Sam's Stores Rev John Roberts Henfryn Hall, Mia Hall Walks Acknowledgements Brochure Various Documents Organisations Statistics Heritage Trail Links Old Photo Gallery Blog - for updates Plane Crashes Belgian Refugees

Dyserth - Sam's Stores

Samuel Jones & Son

In 1910 Samuel Jones came to Dyserth from Babell with his wife, son and four daughters and opened a shop in the high street, known as Prengwyn Stores.

Order book from Samuel Jones, Prengwyn Stores in Dyserth High Street

An order book for Prengwyn Stores from 1925 to 1929.

First page from order/account book from Prengwyn Stores in the High Street

The first page of the book, to the account of
Mr H B Jones - headmaster of the local school

Pages from order book from Prengwyn Stores in Dyserth High Street

Order pages from 1926

Samuel Jones' car in the 1920s

Apparently the business had a car in the 1920s which was sometimes used as a taxi service.

Prengwyn Stores in Dyserth High Street Prengwyn Stores in Dyserth High Street

After almost 20 years the business outgrew the establishment. A cottage and land was purchased across the road from the shop and the site was transformed into shop, bakery and living quarters. The new premises was officially opened in 1930 as Samuel Jones & Son. The business traded for 76 years in the same family until 1986.

Advert for Samuel Jones and Son, new shop opening in Elwy Building, Dyserth

Roll your mouse over this image to see a modern image

Samuel Jones and Son, new shop, Dyserth Staff outside Samuel Jones and Son, new shop

Gwyneth Williams(Pierce) & Doris Edwards c1965

Staff outside Samuel Jones and Son, new shop, Dyserth

Margaret Roberts(Hollingsworth) Glyn Jones & Gwyneth Williams(Pierce)c1965

Samuel Jones and Son in the High Street, Dyserth

“Sam’s” in the 1960s

July 2006

The original shop at one time became G.L. Jones’ Fishmongers and Greengrocers and is now a private house, its last use as a shop was as an Off-License in the 1970s/80s.

Samuel Jones and Son is now Mulberrys and the NSPCC Charity Shop.

I am grateful to Mr Glyn Jones “Glyn Shop”

(Grandson of Samuel Jones)

for the loan of the material reproduced on this page.

Modern photo of what was Prengwyn Stores in the High Street, Dyserth

The original Prengwyn Stores, opposite the NSPCC Shop & Mulberrys, above.