There has been mining and quarrying in Dyserth for centuries. Lead mining was taking place even before the Roman occupation, and quarrying goes as far back as the 13th century at least, when some of the stone would have been used to build the castle.
There were at one time several small quarries along the foot of Moel Hiraddug; the stone from one of them, the Jubilee Quarry, was used to surface the road, Ffordd Glai, which was as its name suggests, a muddy track. It is now Ffordd Ffynnon. As it lay on the boundary between Dyserth and Cwm parishes, Dyserth provided the stone, and Cwm the transport for it.
Before the arrival of the Chester to Holyhead railway in 1848 the stone would have been transported by horse-drawn carriages and then by river from the port at Rhuddlan. A branch line to Dyserth was built in the 1860s for the mine and the quarrying.
The main quarry, which remained operative until the early 1980s, was, at the beginning of the last century owned by W.L. Hobbs. In the early 1900s this provided employment for 40 men, under the manager, Mr. T Johnson Humphreys. This quarry supplied limestone to Mostyn Ironworks, and lime in various forms was of more than local importance. The London and North Western Railway opened a mineral line from the main Chester-Holyhead line to Dyserth. The problem then was to get the stone from the quarry to the railway. Narrow-gauge rail lines took trucks to and from the quarry on a bridge over the road to the kiln. From there a two-way ramp ran down the slope to a siding. Full trucks going down would pull up the empty ones.