However, the train was so successful that the timetable was often ignored and trains ran back and forth as possible - nearly 30,000 passengers were recorded by the end of the first year of operation. The combined population of Prestatyn, Meliden and Dyserth in 1905 was only about 2,800 people!
By the early 1910s there were two freight trains each way daily. At the peak of freight services in in 1923 there three each way until the Castle quarry closed in 1931, when the number dropped to two. This was constant until 1953, when it was reduced to one - due to more mechanisation within Dyserth quarry which reduced staff there to 34, and to increased delivery by road. Trains remained at one a day until the branch line closed in 1973.
Preservation - nearly
The Flint and Deeside Railway Preservation Society was set up in 1972 and looked a number of railway lines with the aim of preserving one of them. The Prestatyn to Dyserth line was the preferred choice, though still in use at that time for freight. The society bought their first locomotive in April 1973 - a Kitson 0-6-0 saddle tank Austin 1, built in 1934. It had been used at the Austin factory at Longbridge until 1971 and was delivered to the Nant Hall Hotel in Prestatyn where restoration work was planned to be carried out.
By 1974 attention turned to the Ruabon to Barmouth line, particularly the section westward from Llangollen and restoration plans for the Prestatyn-Dyserth were subsequently abandoned.
The Llangollen Railway Society was established in 1977 and the Flint and Deeside Railway Preservation Society was wound up, transferring its assets to the new organisation. More information on www.llangollen-railway.co.uk
Austin 1 was moved to Llangollen, where it was renamed Burtonwood Brewer.
The railway line is now the Dyserth - Prestatyn walkway.